A Brief History
On July 2nd 1903 thirteen men met in the old Greenwich Borough Hall and inaugurated a new bowling club. It was originally named the Greenwich Bowling Club and the green was near the Rangers House in Greenwich Park. in September 1903 the club joined the London Parks Bowling Association, entered the Jackson Challenge Shield and also made its first link with the new English Bowling Association.
In 1923 the L.C.C. created a new green in front of Rangers House but the club decided that it needed better facilities and began negotiating for a private green. Three years later, in 1926, the move was made to Brooklands Park, our home ever since. The club then was renamed the Blackheath and Greenwich Bowling Club. In 1931 the club was affiliated to the London & Southern Counties Bowling Association.
On the 7th December 1932 ladies were elected as members of the club, forming a separate section with their own their own committee. The following year they became affiliated to the Kent County Womens Bowling Association and the English Womens Bowling Association.
In the early years bowling at the club thrived and enjoyed success at various levels. The second world war (1939-1945) effectively saw an end to any form of competitive bowling at the club. Records for the immediate post war period are somewhat sketchy, but it would appear that serious bowling did not really get underway again untill the 1950's and the men won the KCBA fours in 1957.
Over the ensuing decades support for the club has remained healthy, averaging seventy five playing members and also non playing social members. Both men and ladies sections have enjoyed considerable success at club, County, National and International stages. The mid 1990's saw an influx of junior members who have since shown considerable bowling skills and have played for club and County with some degree of success.
The Greenwich home before the move to Brooklands Park in 1926
Pre-match photo probably 1950's
Centenary Year 2003.
B&G Ladies host match against KCWBA
Read about the history of Lawn Bowls on Wikipedia